22 February, 2012

Miyata Assembly - Why Hello There!

It speaks!

video


Thanks to a new petcock from Treatland and a new 12v battery from Pep Boys, the Miyata started right up and ran great. I didn't even need to adjust the idle or idle mixture. The petcock uses a M16x1.0 bung, and luckily some Puch mopeds and Ducatis use this size. It threaded on like a champ, and thanks to a glass fuel bowl in the bottom, it is easy to see fuel flowing.


Now I get to turn my attention to all the little details, like getting some chrome re-finished, making a rear taillight, finding some rear turn signals, and new Miyata script logos for the side covers and handlebars. All the fun stuff.

20 February, 2012

Miyata Assembly - More Stuff

I got a couple small things installed, mostly just to see how it looks. Including the side covers:



I was originally thinking the bike would have too much green, and maybe the side covers should be a different color, like vanilla or cream. But I kinda like it like this, and it will get better with the "Miyata" script logos on the side covers:


In preparation of it running, I threw on the exhaust system. All the chrome on it was heavily pitted, so I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I found a chrome shop in Yuba City, so I might pay them a visit with the full exhaust and the headlight chrome ring.

19 February, 2012

Miyata Assembly - Seat and Footpegs

I found a set of footpeg rubbers for a Yamaha YSD1 with a very similar pattern to the original Miyata units:

I also got the original seat pan and foam built back up. It took a few tries, but the original seat covers seems to fit:

It is a little bit lumpy on the side, but I think it will smooth over as it stretches out over the new foam. I was able to really scrub the old grim off the vinyl and it looks pretty good:



14 February, 2012

Miyata Assembly - Wiring

Short story made super boring...I got both spark on the Miyata, and an electric starter that turns the engine over. I realize that sounds normal, but considering I have no wiring diagrams, and that some of the wiring was disconnected when I got it, I'm amazed I got it on the first try.

As luck would have it, the big red wire from the key connects to the red wire on the main harness, which then connects to the starter relay and coil output. So my first try, it made the sparkies and the button on the right handlebar activates the starter. It is strange having an electric starter on a bike. My thirteeen other little dinks just have a kick starter.



I just need a 12v battery that fits in the battery tray. And then I guess I can put some fuel in the tank, mount up the exhaust, and maybe it will run?

11 February, 2012

Miyata Assembly

What a better way to spend a near 70 degree day, than to do some assembly on the Miyata. I managed to get it into a roller pretty quickly.

Installing the rear wheel assembly:

front and rear suspension and wheels installed. A roller!

I also planned ahead and got the main wiring harness run through all of its little tangs (that keep it secure):

After lunch, I installed the handlebar and controls, some of the cables, the luggage rack, and finally the engine:



Starting to look like a bike!

Miyata Details - Paint and Wheels

I took advantage of the good weather we've been having lately, and got a bunch of the Miyata parts painted. That means I might be able to do some assembly this weekend! Which is always the fun part.


But before that, I managed to get the bastard wheels fully assembled. Bastard, because as mentioned before, the Miyata used a bicycle size wheel and tire. I wouldn't be able to reuse the original wheel rims because the chrome was knackered. I had a spare set of good 17" rims, and ordered a set of shorter 184mm wheel spokes from the land of Bangkok. It all managed to come together quite nicely, after an evening of lacing.



C'

05 February, 2012

Miyata Details - Stripping and Cleaning

I've spent the past week doing all the dirty work, cleaning up old grungy parts and stripping paint. My least favorite activity in a restoration project. But I've made good progress, especially yesterday and today.

The hardest part to strip was the frame. Lots of little nooks and crannies to get into:

By comparison, the engine cleaned up nicely. I pulled both the magneto side and clutch side covers off, so I could clean them inside and out. I decided not to take off the cylinder, since it looked so good. I did, however take off the cylinder head and decarbonize the combustion chamber.


Chris H.