06 February, 2011

Homebrew: Vienna Dark Cedar

I posted a few weeks ago about a brew I did that used cedar in it. I actually did two cedar brews back to back, trying a different base recipe for fun. This time I based it off a Mr. Beer Octoberfest Vienna Lager extract. I added some chocolate malt to give it a much darker color, as seen below:


The cedar flavor is much more pronounced in this brew. It isn't overwhelming, but it is easier to tell it is there. The rest of the beer stands up well too, with a nice balance of maltyness and hop bitterness. Overall, I've been enjoying this one.

Recipe Characteristics
Recipe Bitterness 23 IBU
Alcohol by Volume 4.4%
Recipe Color 30° SRM
Alcohol by Weight 3.4%

Ingredients
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (US) Grain Mashed
0.50 lb Crystal 60L Grain Mashed
1.00 lb Honey Sugar Other
1.21 lb MrB. Octoberfest Vienna Lager Extract Extract

0.50 oz Centennial Whole 5 minutes
0.40 oz Magnum Whole 15 minutes

1.00 unit Irish Moss Fining 1/2 tsp
1.00 unit Mr. Beer Dry Ale Yeast Yeast Temperature Range: 68°-76° F 2.0 GRAMS
2.00 unit Orange Peel, Sweet Spice two mandarins, full peel in small pieces, full fruit cut in half segments

No comments: