07 December, 2009

Beer Advent Calendar: Day 7

Dogfish Head Brewery Midas Touch
12oz.
9% alc.



The web site says: "This recipe is the actual oldest-known fermented beverage in the world! It is an ancient Turkish recipe using the original ingredients from the 2700 year old drinking vessels discovered in the tomb of King Midas. Somewhere between wine & mead; this smooth, sweet, yet dry ale will please the Chardonnay of beer drinker alike."

Midas was paired with a Parmesan Herb Tilapia, with a herb and garlic risotta, and asparagus. Dinner was great, but as my old grandmother used to say: "I couldn't go the bastids" when it came to the beer. I mean, I still consumed about 3/4 of it, mostly because I couldn't get over how much I disliked it. I couldn't stop myself from trying it over and over. Susan, on the other hand, really liked it.

It has a very nice nose, which sucked me in. Sweet, with a bit of honey. Then you sample it. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be experiencing, but I get a sour note, followed by a rough alcohol taste. I guess I wasn't destined to live in Turkey 2,700 years ago, if this is what was being served. Worse yet, the finish lasts about 3 weeks, so I'll have this taste in my mouth until Christmas dinner.

I bet Seans tells me he loves it!

C'

1 comment:

sean said...

I vaguely recalling trying that and not being terribly impressed. It's been a while though.

It is ridiculously expensive though, which may explain why lots of folks like it. That beer always struck me as mostly a gimmick. I really like a few of the Dogfish Head beers (their "90 minute IPA" is great), but the owner guy's real skill is as a marketer...